CSRidentity
 
 
 
 
 

Guyana

Guyana Manufacturers’ Association (GMA)

The Guyana Manufacturers’ Association (GMA) was registered in 1967, succeeding the Guyana Light Industries Employers Association. In 2005, the Services sub-sector throughout Guyana was placed under the umbrella of the GMA when it was recognized that the provisions from this sub-sector were a natural complement to manufacturing. GMA then became the Guyana Manufacturing and Services Association (GMSA).

The Association has evolved through the decades into a fully fledged Business Support institution functioning as the bona fide liaison between the businesses involved in manufacturing and social and business services and the Government of Guyana. As such, GMSA maintains strong and effective relationships with other Private Sector business support organizations, government agencies, regional and international organizations and financing agencies.

The GMSA President is directly responsible for Government/Industry liaison, fund raising and development financing. Sub-Sector Committees or Technical working groups are also established to oversee and cater to the specific needs of members in their respective sectors. Submissions and reports from the heads of these groups/sectors form the basis for the development of policies, deployment of resources (financial, human, natural), internal and cross-border product marketing and market access, implementation of national and international standards, and for the conduct of research and feasibility studies that work for the benefit of members’ businesses and for industry as a whole.

The Guyana Manufacturing & Services Association Limited
The Secretariat:
157 Waterloo St.,
North Cummingsburg,
Georgetown
Guyana
Tel: 592-223-7405/6
Fax: 592-225-5615

Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry

The Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry was established under the name “The Chamberof Commerce of the City of Georgetown” in the year 1889. The formation of the chamber begun at a meeting with Royal Agricultural Commercial Society and a Commercial Committee held on the 20 the December 1888. Under the initiative of Mr. J. Errest Tinner a sphere of useful discussions were held and it was decided to merge these two bodies. On the 17th June, 1889 at a meeting of Merchants and others it was decided to form a Chamber of Commerce for the City, which should be recognized by law. The Memorandum and Articles of Association were drafted. These were submitted at a General Meeting held on the 8 th July, 1889 and the President, Vice-Presidents and Council were elected.

It was intended for the Chamber to be registered under the Company’s Ordinance in 1864. However, there was no provision made in the Ordinance for permitting the omission made in the word “Limited” when registering institutions similar to the Chamber of Commerce. It was undesirable that the liability of Members should be unlimited. As a result, the Council petitioned the Governor and Court of Policy to incorporate the Chamber under a special ordinance. The Petition was favorably received. The then Attorney General suggested the title be shorten by omitting the word “Incorporated” and it was entered into the Statute Book as Ordinance No. 4, of 1890.

Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry
156 Waterloo Street
North Cummingsburg
Georgetown
Guyana
Executive Director: 592 – 225 – 5846
Office: 592 – 227 – 6441
Tel/Fax: 592 – 226 – 3519